9/29/2008

Back to School




In the fall of 2001 prior to the terrorist act in NYC, I received a call from the chaplain at Langston University. I had just graduated that summer while simultaneously working as a Senior Counselor for the Upward Bound program. The message went something like this:

"Dan, I hope all is well. Last night Phillips Theological Seminary in Tulsa and Langston University finalized a bridge program for graduating seniors who are interested in pursuing a graduate theological education. They asked did we have a candidate and last night we officially offered you a full scholarship in your absence."

Obviously, this was a surreal moment and of course I accepted. I was only there until the summer of 2002 and then I moved to Los Angeles. I'll give you the details of why at a later time. I was 23 then, I'm 30 now.

God has seen fit to bless me again. Today, I will begin my second go-a-round with theological education at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA. I have received substantial financial aid from the seminary and from the African-American church Studies Department. Due to my work schedule, I'll only be able to take two classes this quarter, but God is good.

Please pray that I'm able to honor God with all A's!

1 comment:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

God is good. I am going to be in sincere prayer for you. I have a 30 year old Son that I pray for as he continues his education. His oldest brother is in school as well. I have been praying for them so long I don't even have to think about it. So, the next time I go down in prayer I will call your name, you can count on it. What a great blessing. I am happy for you.