6/10/2009

Waiting On Your Season

Gospel artist John P. Kee, on his Not Guilty album, which released back in October of 2000, (man I’m getting old), on track number 2, on a song entitled, “Right Here”, spoke words of wisdom that still burn in the depths of my spirit even until this day. He said, “The highest order of discipline is when you learn how to wait.”

Let’s be candid…no one likes to wait anymore. Have you noticed our domestic and societal behaviors lately? We change lines at the grocery store only to find out that the longer line that we were in was moving faster than the shorter line that we switched to. We stand at the microwave impatiently tapping our foot waiting for the last ten seconds to expire. We explode in unwarranted frustration waiting for the traffic signal to change only to be stopped by another red light. We pay $50 extra in shipping and handling fees to rush the item that we’ve ordered online. We unconsciously tune out others when we talk to them as a psychological mechanism to fast forward to what we have to say. Waiting is a lost virtue. Our sense of patience has vanished. Our serenity has eroded under the volcanic pressure of instantaneous gratification.

In theory, we live in an instant society; microwaves, faxes, SMS, instant messaging, email, PDA's, beaming etc., but in reality the old adage still rings true, "good things come to those who wait."

In recent segments of Christianity, particularly in what is commonly called the, "Word of Faith Movement", the doctrine of "waiting on your season" is being espoused. The backdrop of this teaching is that for those who have received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, even though they may be experiencing difficulties in life now, just like summer turns to fall, fall to winter, winter to spring, the pages in your life will also turn and if you just wait, soon it will be "your season." The presentation is given as if one could cause to God "hurry up" the season.

Normally, from what I have observed (even in myself) is a tendency to exacerbate my fleshly desires and then seek out persons who will agree with those desires or who currently have like desires. I fail to realize that God is speaking in my circumstance by telling me no or wait and sense I have allowed myself to become desensitized to the voice of the Spirit in this area I make a decision or enter an area of life to early without having the maturity or capacity to handle it.

A wise man once told me when I questioned him about an opportunity, he said, "If the door opens, walk through it. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey D.A. thanks for the shout on the blog. It's good to know you are doing a great work there in Compton. You have a great mind. Keep letting the Lord use it.

Be Encouraged,

Tony Rhone

Anonymous said...

From my experience, this is why the waiting part is so essential-to flush out the flesh in your circumstance, to silence your voice in the matter. He says "faith the size of a mustard seed(which is approximately 3 mm in diameter)
moves the mountain!" That makes me say " Lord, increase my faith so the mountain can move!" So it's getting out of the stage of "believeing to believe" into wholly and trusting and relying on Him blindly (which is fun:<.) With Jesus, it's all about rest and reliance--in which we naturally do the opposite when it comes to our lives because of our intellect, money,education, experience, talent etc-our own strength, so He works out of us "us" and works in us "Him" through discipline, circumstances that we ultimately can't control, and through patience. This strengthens our faith! I don't like it, but I love it, because it pleases Him and draws me closer to Him.

To the testimony and to the glory of God, I've never had a job I didn't want. I have never been rushed or presssed to work somewhere, making this type of money. He gives me the ideas and I give it back to Him making sure it's not my flesh, and He opens the doors. It's happened every single time! Not ONE SWEAT FROM MY BROW! I try to learn from that in everything

Concerning seasons He's been encouraging me with the story about Joseph. So something is going to breakthrough for His people that are looking for Him