6/05/2009

The Associate Pt. 2

Last time we were discussing the challenges that all associate ministers and assistant pastors will eventually face, particularly those who aspire to senior pastoral ministry. I do not write as one who currently operates in the function of a senior pastor, but I approach this with a relevant peer perspective coupled with empathy, encouragement, experiential wisdom, and friendly suggestions.

To bring a greater sense of relevance and the appropriate amount of empathetic tone to this post allow me to first divest the function of ministry that I currently operate in. At this time I serve as the Young Adult Ministry Director at a very historical baptist church in Compton, CA. Prior to that I served as an associate minister at a church in Oklahoma City and have currently been preaching for approximately 11 years. With that being said, I have known for quite some time that God would call me to the senior pastor position and to teach seminary at a graduate level, but there were some character traits that were not fully developed that God had to work out and is continuing to perfect.

It is truly about character. I am not so much bothered (although I am bothered) by the immorality that is pervasive in the pulpit as I am about the integrity that is displayed in the aftermath, i.e. pride, denial, entitlement, etc. Suffice it to say that if God has not elevated you to the position of senior pastor then I believe that he is using this period of time to remove, plant, cultivate and develop character traits that will give you the privilege to shepherd his flock as he would do it Himself (Jer. 3:15).

This is not to say that your "character flaw" has anything to do with immorality or that you are entrenched in some great sin, but it is to say that God knows us and he knows the proper time to place us.

It is extremely difficult to wait on destiny. We are constantly tempted to kill Saul, sleep with Hagar, or betray Jesus (preachers you know what I mean). Impatience is a weapon that the enemy uses to cause us to be unncessarily anxious about something that, from a faith perspective, is already done. Now I know that is easier said than lived. However, it does not negate the urgent need for our attention to these matters. If you are gifted, if you are anointed, if you are talented, if you are indeed called, my brothers and sisters our time for senior leadership is coming. We must be prepared for the fight and not get sidetracked because we have yet to assume a position or a title.

No comments: